The satisfaction of making a difference in someone's life; the fun of making new friends; the joy of helping a person who really needs you – and the gratification of being appreciated!
These are just a few of the many reasons why people volunteer with Visiting Nurse & Hospice of Fairfield County. The opportunities are as varied as your talents, abilities and interests. Our dedicated volunteers vary in age and experience and come from diverse backgrounds. And the time commitment is flexible.
Patient Support Volunteer Program
The Patient Support Volunteer Program matches volunteers with patients who are experiencing loneliness, personal loss, bereavement, life transitions or chronic illness. Patient Support Volunteers provide counseling and companionship for one hour a week.
As a Patient Support Volunteer, you will:
- Attend a 15 hour training course on basic counseling techniques, community resources and information on chronic illnesses among the elderly
- Make regular visits to individuals who are lonely or homebound
- Help people maintain their independence and continue their involvement in personal interests
Click here for our current Patient Support Volunteer Training schedule.
Hospice Patient Care Program
Hospice volunteers provide emotional support to terminally ill patients and their families with a focus on promoting quality of life so patients can spend meaningful time together with friends and loved ones in comfort with peace and dignity.
As a Hospice Patient Care Volunteer, you will:
- Attend 25 hours of training on the hospice philosophy of care and the dying process
- Regularly visit Hospice and Life Focus patients and/or their caregivers and family members to provide companionship to patients and respite to caregivers
- Provide transportation to medical appointments
- Assist with grocery shopping and other essential errands
- Facilitate reminiscences and life reviews for patients
- Assist grieving families through the bereavement process
Please note that surviving family members must wait one year after the death of a family member to be eligible as a patient care volunteer.
Other volunteer opportunities include:
- Serving as a member of the Agency's Board of Directors
- Helping to plan, promote and participate in special events and fundraisers
- Providing office assistance at Visiting Nurse & Hospice of Fairfield County
- Working at our New Canaan Thrift Shop or at
The Turnover Shop in Wilton
- Serving as a volunteer for the day on special assignments such as Immunization Clinics
- Serve as a volunteer on our Emergency Response Team